There are times when users have faced issues with QuickBooks software. One such fundamental blunders raises when you see “QuickBooks Has Stopped Working” message on your desktop. This Windows generated error message creates problem for the users, as when they retries to open QuickBooks after the application quits itself the same error message appears again. However, in most cases QuickBooks doesn’t throw any error message and starts freezing on Windows.
In this article, we will illustrate the causes, symptoms, and quick-fix solutions for “QuickBooks Has Stopped Working” and fix the error easily.
Real Causes of QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
There are numerous reasons that plays an important role to causing this QuickBooks Desktop error. Few of them are as follows:
- Using disintegrated QBWUSER.INI file.
- The given QuickBooks company file name is too big to respond QuickBooks.
- Damaged hard drive and corrupted program’s file.
- Functioning of QuickBooks Desktops stops suddenly.
- QuickBooks software is not correctly installed on Windows.
Symptoms of “QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error”
In many cases, this type of error can also affect QuickBooks without giving any error message so, it is important for the user to understand the signs of the error so that it can be resolved quickly.
Check out the symptoms listed below to resolve QuickBooks has stopped working or QuickBooks is not opening error.
- Your computer/laptop shuts down
- QuickBooks Desktop starts freezing
- Keyboard and mouse pointer starts lagging
- QuickBooks won’t open
If you are also facing the same issue with your QuickBooks device, then follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
Things To Do Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
- Make sure you have installed the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The QuickBooks company file name must be less than 35 characters including spaces.
- Turn off the running antivirus protection on your computer before running QuickBooks.
If the issue persists and you are still not able to open QuickBooks software then follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
Pursue the troubleshooting steps in the given order, and eliminate QuickBooks has stopped working issue.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Use QuickBooks Refresher Tool
QBRefresher tool ends QuickBooks practises running in the background and also performs mini repair on your QuickBooks Desktop.
- To start with, close all QuickBooks Desktop versions.
- Now, Download the QuickBooks Refresher (QBRefresher) Tool.
- Once it is downloaded, save the file on your desktop.
- After that, run the QBRefresher tool.
- And lastly, re-open QuickBooks Desktop and check the software performance.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Download and Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QBInstall Tool automatically diagnose and fix issues with Microsoft components which QuickBooks program uses.
- Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and choose Desktop to save the file.
- Before running the QBInstall Tool, close every running application on the Windows.
- Double-click the setup file from the desktop and run the tool to start the diagnosis.
- Depending on the performance of your computer, the tool can take up to 20 to 25 minutes to repair the damage in the installation.
- Once the tool finishes, restart your Windows and try to open QuickBooks once again.
If you find this step is not helpful for you then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Repair Bad Sectors on Hard-Disk
- To begin the process, open Windows File Manager and right click the C drive.
- Now, select Properties and under the Tools options, click to the Check now.
- In the next step, checkmark Automatically fix file system errors.
- Now, Scan for recovery of bad sectors options.
- Finally, click Start and wait until Windows complete the scan and repair process.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Rename QBWUSER.INI File
- Initially, open Windows File Manager and navigate to \Users\User Name \AppData\Local\ Intuit\QuickBooks and find QBWUSER.INI file.
- If you don’t see the file, then tap on the Folder and Search Options under the Organize tab at the top left corner of the Window.
- Under the View tab checkmark the option which says, Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
- Now, Click Apply and then OK.
- Right-click the file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the QBWUSER.ini file name (for example QBWUSER.INI.OLD).
- Reopen QuickBooks and check if the QuickBooks has stopped working error is resolved.
Hope this article will help you to resolve QuickBooks has stopped working or QuickBooks is not responding error but in case the troubleshooting steps didn’t help, then you might need to perform advanced troubleshooting on your Windows computer. Dial QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number and one of our QuickBooks experts will immediately take care of the issue for you.